Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The happy printer and I

What? Another gap in the production process? IT HAPPENS! Our faithful printer had technical difficulties the end of last week, i.e....the printer was broken! Now they're back in business, and we're one step closer to publishing!


Our happy printer Frank delivered proofs to the L*K office this AM.  I'm not sure which was nicer...Frank's always friendly self, or the beautiful (and much anticipated) Inspirational Boxer proofs! I really wanted to give these a thorough look, so Frank left these with me. I called him when I was finished proofing and he popped back in to pick up the proofs (and play with the dog!).


So what exactly are PROOFS? They are a preview of what the finished product will look like. Check out this proof sheet...this will be the 1st Inspirational Boxer.  Notice there are 3 of the same thing!  The printer stacks up as many images as will fit on a page for cost efficiency. You are looking at the (unfolded) color outside of the Boxer. The bluish part (bottom of photo) is the back cover and the cool photo (top of photo) will appear on the front cover. The black and white inner portion (you can't see it) is on the other side of this big sheet. After they are printed and dried, they are cut and folded and boxed before delivery.

Why deliver a proof? The most important thing I am looking for is COLOR accuracy. This is the best time to make color corrections. If I happen to see a problem with text or anything else, there is still time to correct this, too. 

We work really hard at L*K to make our color as accurate as possible.  We use 3 different local printers, depending on the kind and quantity of printing. They are all awesome printers (and people) and a really important step in getting the goods to you... our faithful stitchers!

1 comment:

  1. I am really loving your chronicling the entire designing process. I find it ever so fascinating and would like to thank you for taking the time to detail the whole process. :)


    I know it's a lot of work, but I, for one appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete